Batangas City Athletics were still in championship form as they defeated the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League’s comeback kings Quezon City Capitals, 95-90, in Caloocan Wednesday night.
New recruit Pedrito Galanza Jr. kick started the early assault by the Athletics by drilling three of his five three-pointers in the opening quarter. Galanza ended up with 28 markers, 2 boards, and 2 dimes across his name to help Batangas secure their first win of the season.
Dennice Villamor also stood out with a double-double perfomance, 20 points and 12 rebounds, for the Southern Division ball club who were missing the services of some key players.
The Athletics ended the half with a 8-0 burst to keep the Capitals at bay, 48-40. They kept their momentum at the start third canto as Paul Varilla and Galanza connived for a 10-0 run, for their biggest lead of the game.
The never-say-die attitude of the Capitals kept them in the game by converting Batangas’ 18 turnovers into 26 points. Jay Collado, QC’s top scorer last season, led the way with 21 points and 12 rebounds. He was helped by former PBA player Jojo Duncil who posted 19 points and 5 rebounds.
It was Teytey Teodoro’s timely three-pointers in the payoff period ended the Capitals’ hopes of completing the comeback.
– Batangas Athletics were so dominant that they had the lead for 39 minutes and 51 seconds of a 40-minute game.
– While most of the teams had a busy off season signing new players, it looked like the Athletics focused more on fine tuning their chemistry and discipline. They were 10-man deep and never missed a beat.
– The Capitals committed 10 turnovers while forcing Athletics to 18. As mentioned, QC converted 26 points from turnovers while Batangas were only made 13 points.
– QC’s Mon Mabayo had 6 offensive boards which was crucial in their 4th quarter run. Unfortunately, it was Mabayo’s knack for fouling that kept him away from the game.
– Quezon City’s bench, led by Duncil, contributed 41 points out of 90. Teodoro had 11 of Batangas’ 23 bench points.
BATANGAS (95) – Galanza 28, Villamor 20, Varilla 15, Teodoro 11, Olayon 8, Alvarez 7, Grimaldo 2, Tagarda 2, Opiso 1, Abatayo 1, Arminion 0, Cenal 0
QUEZON CITY (90) – Collado 21, Duncil 19, Estrella 10, Raflores 9, Barua 7, Gabo 7, Mabayo 6, Alday 5, Castro 3, Sison 0