Ateneo De Manila University played with fire in its eyes to whip defending champion De La Salle University, 12-25, 25-20, 25-21, 25-19 and claim the top seed on Saturday heading to the UAAP Season 79 Final Four at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
- Balanced scoring: For the second straight game, the Lady Eagles sat out Maraguinot (DNP-rest), but a balanced output from their gunners proved enough to pull off the season sweep of their long-time rivals. Michelle Morente and Bea de Leon both had 14 points but it was rookie Jules Samonte who stole the spotlight with her career-high 10 points, nine off hits, one from an ace.
- Not enough: Four Lady Spikers logged in double-digit numbers in the loss: Kim Dy, 15; Des Cheng, 13; Majoy Baron, 11; Tin Tiamzon 10.
- Ruined by turnovers: La Salle scored more points in the attacking department, 47-37, but was plagued by errors, 36 compared to Ateneo’s 24.
- Final Four pairing: Ateneo (ranked no. 1) will face Far Eastern University (ranked no. 4) in the Final Four while La Salle (no. 2) will face the University of Santo Tomas (no. 3).
- Quote of the match: “Maganda yung nilaro ng team, yung posisyon ni Jho napunan ni Jules. Malaking achievement sa team tsaka yung performance nila sa elimination maganda, pagdating sa semis mataas yung morale nila.” Ateneo assistant coach Sherwin Meneses.
Follow this writer on Twitter: @Chester_Fajardo