Alvin Pasaol churned out another big scoring outburst as University of the East finally entered the win column via its nailbiting 96-91 victory over University of Santo Tomas in the battle of winless squads in the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena.
- Scoring machine: The stocky UE forward finished with 32 points, including the huge putback off a miss layup by Mark Olayon with 22.7 seconds left to give the Red Warriors some breathing room at 94-91. UST then turned the ball over in its next possession, while UE’s Philip Manalang nailed two more foul shots inside the final 7.5 seconds to put the game beyond doubt at the close of their first round assignment.
- Beast mode: Coming off a UAAP career-best 49 points in UE’s 106-100 loss to defending champion La Salle recently, Pasaol added 10 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.
- Solid support: Manalang banged in a career-high 20 points, issued 7 assists and 2 steals, while Mark Olayon chipped 15 markers, along with 6 boards for UE.
- Worst start for UST: The Growling Tigers remained winless in 7 starts, marking their worst record since the Final Four format was introduced in the early 1990s.
- Free throw woes: UST practically shot itself on its foot after making just 17 of 38 free throws. Marvin Lee led the Tigers with 20, while Steve Akomo had 19 and 18 boards. But the UST import muffed several free throws late in the game that spelled the Tigers’ doom.
— FOX Sports PH (@FOXSports_PH) October 7, 2017