Anthony Davis does not appear like he’ll be playing in Los Angeles next season.
The Pelicans are still “not interested” in sending the 26-year-old star to the Lakers, who will hold the fourth pick in the 2019 NBA Draft after they jumped up in the lottery earlier this week, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported Wednesday during an appearance on “The Jump.” Los Angeles pursued a deal for Davis before the deadline.
The Pelicans surprisingly secured the No. 1 spot in the draft and are widely expected to select former Duke star Zion Williamson.
“From what I understand, the Pelicans are not interested in making a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers. Maybe had they gotten the filet mignon, the Zion pick … I think the Lakers are actually still out of position, even getting the No. 4 pick.”
Davis, a six-time All-Star, told the Pelicans he did not plan to re-sign when he could opt out of his contract after 2019-20 and asked the team to move him in late January. The Lakers made multiple offers for him, according to several reports, but no deal was ultimately reached.
Los Angeles, the Celtics, the Knicks and others will all reportedly explore trading for Davis this summer and New Orleans is expected to once again consider moving him.
New Orleans’ new vice president of basketball operations David Griffin, however, believes the team can convince Davis to re-evaluate his decision not to ink an extension.
“There are a lot reasons for him to believe that this will be different,” Griffin told NBA TV on Tuesday. “What it starts with is just us doing what we say we’re going to do, one step at a time. Over time, I think he’s going to see there is a trust level that he should have in us.
“I believe strongly he has always wanted to be part of the market, but, understandably, the kid wants to win.”
Davis averaged 25.9 points and 12 rebounds in 56 games in 2018-19. The Pelicans finished with a 33-49 record and missed the playoffs for the third time in four seasons.