After a mission accomplished on leading Ginebra to the much-coveted title in the recently-concluded Governors’ Cup, head coach Tim Cone can now focus on the upcoming 2016 rookie draft on October 30.
He, however, is quite not excited.
While the special draft for Gilas gave parity for PBA teams in terms of lending players to the national team, it, however, took away prior draft trade rights for this year, that somehow benefitted some teams but was a big blow to others–including Ginebra.
Now, Ginebra lost its chance to have a hand in the third overall pick dealt by Phoenix –who is at best a Jio Jalalon or at least a Kevin Ferrer– in the dozen of Gilas players available.
Instead, the Gin Kings will now draft seven rungs lower at number 10 with just three players as options.
“We’re number 10…if we were number three, I’d be really excited about it, but number 10? I don’t even know who we’ll get at number ten,” said Cone in a disappointed tone.
The winningest mentor continued this year’s draft procedure took out the excitement of a chance of getting a Scottie Thompson-caliber type of player, whom they drafted last year who is now a star on his own right.
“Now, you’re talking about getting the 13th player as your first pick, the 14th player as your second pick, 15th player as your third pick, so how excited can you get right now?,” he said, referring to the regular draft procedure.
“That’s basically what you’re dealing with right now. You’re dealing with guys that would normally be mid to late second round picks. It makes it a lot more difficult to find a gem in terms of that,” he continued.
Nonetheless, Cone still likes their chance in the upcoming season with an intact roster.
“We like our chemistry, so we don’t want to change it up that much in any case,” he said. “With Jay (Helterbrand) and Mark (Caguioa) coming back, we’re pretty much complete where we are.” – By Jason Mercene
Follow this writer on Twitter: @JasonMercenePH