With hulking import Joshua Smith wrecking havoc all game long, cat-quick guard Jayson Castro needed only to deliver the dagger for TNT to score a 100-94 win over Ginebra and take Game 1 of their best-of-five semifinals series on Sunday at the Mall of Asia Arena.
- Baranggay’s big headache: Two days after exploding for TNT in their winner-take-all duel with Meralco, Smith found no problem introducing himself to Ginebra’s legion of fans in their semifinals dater as he poured conference-high 35 points in 22 shots, and 13 rebounds (11 offensive).
- Save the best for last: Cat-quick guard Jayson Castro was held scoreless until the dying minutes but still managed to take the hero mantle as he sank a dagger triple with 12.2 seconds remaining –his only made field goal in ten attempts– on top of 6 assists and 2 rebounds.
- King-size problem: Five Gin Kings finished in double-digit but it was still not enough to stop Smith’s monster game downlow while the Katropa banked on timely outside shots. Counterpart Justin Brownlee led Ginebra with 24.
- Big Adjustment in the offing: After absorbing a wire-to-wire defeat, Ginebra heads back to the drawing board figuring out how to stop Smith’s exploit before Game 2 at the Mall of Asia Arena on Tuesday.
- Quote of the match: “Looking forward to Game 2 adjustments, this was a tough game.” – TNT head coach Nash Racela
Follow this writer on Twitter: @JasonMercenePH