San Miguel Beermen owned the pre-game awarding ceremony, but cat-quick guard Jayson Castro made sure TNT will come up on top on Wednesday night as he delivered a sensational fourth quarter performance to push Katropa to a 102-97 victory in Game 4 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
- Big blows from The Blur: Quiet in the the first three quarters, Castro all of a sudden stirred Katropa to a big endgame fightback, firing 10 of his 17 points to prevent TNT from falling to a 1-3 series hole.
- For Kristy: TNT offered their game to Joshua Smith’s wife, Kristy, who is currently in labor of their child back in the United States. The Katropa had her name at the front shoulder portion of their jersey. The father-to-be Smith collected 20 points in 17 shots and 15 rebounds in another grinding duel against the Beermen.
- Roger back: After two straight scoreless games, rookie Roger Pogoy finally came alive in the series-tying match. He finished with 14 points in a stellar 6-of-9 shooting from the field.
- BPC, who?: After delivering productive numbers in San Miguel’s playoffs campaign, recently-crowned Best Player of the Conference Chris Ross was silenced on his special night, churning meager statline of 8 points and 4 assists against 4 turnovers.
- Twin towers’ trouble: Three-time MVP June Mar Fajardo found life hard anew in the paint, and this time he got fouled out trying to stop Smith downlow. San Miguel import Charles Rhodes, meanwhile, was ejected in the dying minutes after getting two technical fouls.
- For all the marbles: Boiling down to a virtual best-of-three now, crucial Game 5 is set on Friday, 7:00 pm at the same venue.
Follow this writer on Twitter: @JasonMercenePH