After getting pounded by 8 triples in the second quarter, San Miguel mightily fought back in the second half to frustrate TNT, 111-102, and moved on the cusp of clinching the Commissioner’s Cup on a rainy day Friday at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
- Spiderman dagger: Veteran forward Arwind Santos submitted heroic numbers in the pivotal Game 5 after firing 27 points, including the game-sealing lay-up in the dying minutes, on top of 8 rebounds and 5 blocks to put San Miguel on the verge of a back-to-back title this season.
- Full force five: Aside from Santos, the Beermen starters also carried the fight to take control of the series led by Alex Cabagnot, who fired 12 of his 28 points in the second quarter. Oddly, it was June Mar Fajardo who failed to finish in double-digit among the first five with just 9 points across his name.
- Fought for Jayden: While Game 4 was meant for Kristy, TNT had another cause as this time they rallied behind import Joshua Smith’s newborn baby, Jayden. However, things fell apart for Katropa despite a red-hot first half where they sank 11 three-pointers.
- Hot and cold for RDO: Veteran forward Ranidel de Ocampo exploded for 19 markers in the first half to pace TNT, but alas, he couldn’t find his rhythm anymore in the last two quarters as San Miguel Beer woke up and wrecked havoc.
- The end of a curse?: Needing just one more win, the Beermen have the chance to break their mid-season curse as they have not won the Commissioner’s Cup since 2000.
- Quote of the match: “I thought after first half kala ko talo na kami kasi we’re not playing our usual game.” – San Miguel head coach Leo Austria
Follow this writer on Twitter: @JasonMercenePH