A rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz will headline UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas.
Diaz handed McGregor his first UFC defeat when they met at UFC 196 earlier this month, and the pair will now do battle once more, with the fight set to once again take place at welterweight.
McGregor had initially been slated to face Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 196, but a broken foot saw the lightweight champion pull out of the fight 11 days before the scheduled bout. Diaz stepped in to fill the void, and despite taking the fight at short notice was able to secure a shock victory via a second-round rear-naked choke.
While many have called for McGregor to step back down to the featherweight division and defend his title against Frankie Edgar, it would appear that revenge is the only thing on McGregor’s mind – and at 170 pounds.
— UFC (@ufc) March 31, 2016
Speaking on ESPN’s Sports Centre, UFC chairman Dana White explained how the rematch had come about.
“After (UFC 196, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta) and I went to Conor’s house he was renting here in Las Vegas and started talking about, ‘What are you thinking? What’s next?'” White said.
“He was obsessed – obsessed with fighting Nate Diaz again. Obviously, Lorenzo and I tried to argue with him and said, ‘Let’s go back to 145 (pounds) and defend your title or if you really want the Diaz fight that bad, do it at 155 (pounds).’ He wants the fight at 170.
“Even his coach (John Kavanagh) tried to get him to get off the rematch and off the 170-pound fight but it’s what he wanted.”
Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar will also do battle at UFC 200, and McGregor will fight the winner of that bout regardless of the result of his rematch with Diaz.
“Win, lose or draw in this fight against Nate Diaz, (McGregor) will go in and fight either Jose or Frankie,” White said. “Whoever wins at UFC 200.”
Also on the UFC 200 card is a clash between former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and Travis Browne, and a welterweight bought between Johny Hendricks and Kelvin Gastelum.