United delay Leicester celebrations

Carlton Cole says Lampard ‘has to produce as Chelesa not an easy job’

Manchester United’s 1-1 draw against Leicester City at Old Trafford lifted them to fifth and denied the leaders the opportunity to raise the Premiership trophy.

  • Manchester United 1 Leicester City 1
  • Martial opens scoring for United
  • Morgan heads home Drinkwater cross
  • Smalling’s header hits the post
  • Ulloa’s poor shot fails to test De Gea

Match Summary

Anthony Martial opened the scoring for the hosts in the eighth minute, neatly side-footing Antonio Valencia’s excellent chip underneath Kasper Schmeichel.

The Foxes responded three minutes later after captain Wes Morgan broke free from Marcos Rojo’s challenge to head a Danny Drinkwater chip past David de Gea.

Despite having superior possession and a late red card shown to Drinkwater, United failed to find the back of the net for the remainder of the match.

Full Report

It was a match that could potentially end an exciting two-way race for the title. A Leicester win would have put them outside he reach of Tottenham and hand them the league trophy.

It was not to be, however, as the Red Devils put in a spirited performance to grab the point that allowed them to leapfrog West Ham to fifth spot on the table.

The first chance of the match came to United’s exciting young forward Marcus Rashford. After Jesse Lingard combined nicely with Wayne Rooney in the midfield, the winger found Rashford in some space. He controlled the pass well and thundered a shot on target, but Robert Huth was there to intercept.

United continued to press and were rewarded on the eighth minute when Martial found himself at the end of a lovely chip over the top from Valencia. The young Frenchman had no trouble slotting the ball underneath the diving Schmeichel.

More pressure from the hosts resulted in a fantastic save from Schmeichel on 14 minutes. Rojo was given too much space on the left and his cross found Marouane Fellaini, who nodded the ball down to Rashford. The teenager unleashed a thunderous shot towards the bottom-left corner but Schmeichel somehow managed to parry the ball away to safety.

Leicester were level three minutes later, however, when Drinkwater’s terrific cross found Morgan, who shook off Rojo with ease and headed the ball into the ground and past De Gea.

A prolonged period of pressure from United followed, with Fellaini in particular causing problems for Leicester with his height and strength.

The visitors found their feet again 10 minutes before half time and De Gea needed to make a save from a scrappy Jeff Schlupp shot. Riyad Mahrez’ appeal for a penalty was waved away in the resultant battle for the ball.

Soon after the restart De Gea again had to get involved, the Spaniard making a vital interception after Morgan’s header looked like it was going to reach the outstretched foot of Leonardo Ulloa.

Claudio Ranieri’s men continued to threaten and heaped pressure on the United back four, who held strong though and dealt well with several half-chances going the way of the Foxes.

Rooney wasted a chance to test Schmeichel on 60 minutes. Valencia’s cross into the box caused problems for the visitors and when the ball fell to the United captain he attempted an ambitious chip shot which sailed over the crossbar.

Some fantastic play from Mahrez on the break almost resulted in a second goal for the would-be champions. The Algerian twisted and turned his way through the United defence, keeping possession and lashing a high shot towards the roof of the net. De Gea did well to punch the shot away.

Chris Smalling hit the post on 78 minutes, the centre-back rising above his marker to meet a lovely cross from Rooney, but his effort ended up smashing against the outside of the upright.

Two minutes later Ulloa had a chance to really test De Gea. After a United attack broke down thanks to some good defending from Marc Albrighton, the Foxes launched a counter-attack through Mahrez. The midfielder chipped a cross into the area where the Argentinean scuffed his a shot.

With four minutes left Drinkwater was shown a second yellow for dragging down Memphis Depay, who was causing some problems for the visitors since coming on six minutes earlier.

Predictably it was all United for the next eight minutes but they could not find their way through the diminished Foxes defence.