Okaka inspires Watford to victory

Crazy pyro show as Galatasaray celebrate domestic double

Watford rallied from behind at Vicarage Road to record a 3-2 victory over Everton in Saturday's early Premier League kick-off.

  • Watford 3 Everton 2
  • Lukaku fires Toffees in front
  • Okaka levels matters with sublime finish
  • Prodl heads Watford in front after HT
  • Okaka notches second goal on 64 mins
  • Lukaku reduces the deficit

Match summary

The first half ended in stalemate after Stefano Okaka popped up in the 36th minute to cancel out Romelu Lukaku's 17th-minute goal.

Sebastian Prodl headed the Hornets in front after the half-time break, before Okaka netted his second of the game to give the Hornets a commanding lead.

Lukaku managed to pull one back in the closing stages of the contest, but it was a case of too little, too late as Watford held on to claim the win.

Full report

After a somewhat cautious start to the encounter from both sides, the first noteworthy chance eventually arrived in the 13th minute, Etienne Capoue firing wide of the right-hand post from the left side of the box.

And, just four minutes later, the match sprang to life as Everton claimed the lead with their first attempt on goal. Lukaku latched onto a sumptuous through-pass from Gareth Barry, before firing past the onrushing Heurelho Gomes.

The goal sparked a furious reaction from Watford, who threatened to draw level on more than one occasion.

Stefano Okaka and Adlene Guedioura saw their respective efforts kept out by Everton keeper Maarten Stekelenburg, while Miguel Britos headed high and wide on 21 minutes.

However, the Hornets eventually got the breakthrough they were looking for in the 36th minute, Okaka finding the back of the net with a backheel flick from the centre of the danger area.

They very nearly went on to grab the lead in the 41st minute, but Hornets skipper Troy Deeney somehow failed to hit the target from just six yards out.

The second half started at a slow tempo, with neither side willing to commit to many men in attack in the opening spell.

Buoyed by boisterous home support, Watford began to turn the screws and claimed the lead in the 59th minute, Prodl heading home from Jose Holebas' inviting cross.

? The moment Sebastian Prödl netted his first #watfordfc goal of the @premierleague season! (3-1)

A photo posted by Watford FC (@watfordfcofficial) on

Everton were still reeling from that goal when the Hornets struck again five minutes later, Okaka heading into the bottom-left corner from another fine Holebas cross.

The Toffees didn't let their heads drop, though, and went close to pulling one back through efforts from Lukaku and Enner Valencia.

And, with time running out, Everton eventually bagged their second of the game with four minutes of regulation time remaining, Lukaku sending a powerful header into the back of the net from an Aaron Lennon cross.

However, despite laying siege to the Watford goal, Everton were unable to force a late equaliser as Watford just about held on to claim all three points.