Jeju put two past the Reds in first leg

Phil Neville calls for social media boycott to combat racism

K League Classic side Jeju United FC defeated J1 League outfit Urawa Red Diamonds 2-0 in the first leg of the AFC Champions League Round of 16 match played at Jeju World Cup Stadium on Wednesday.

Marcelo Toscano scored the first goal of the match for United and Jin Seong-Uk grabbed the second. 

The match started off with both sides attacking and in the second minute Zlatan Ljubijankic took a shot at the Jeju goal but it went high and wide after receiving a decent pass from Shinzo Koroki. 

Then in the seventh minute, the home side opened the scoring when a quality cross by Hwang Il-Su found Brazilian forward Toscano in the centre of the box and he scored with a header to give Jeju the 1-0 lead. 

Jeju were at it again in the 15th minute when Lee Chang-Min passed the ball to Hwang who fired his shot goalwards but was denied by a decent save from goalkeeper Shusaku Nishikawa.

It was the Reds' turn to attack next and in the 21st minute a pass by Takahiro Sekine found Ryota Moriwaki just outside the box and he hammered a shot at goal but was denied by keeper Kim Ho-jun.

Then a fast break by Jeju's Lee five minutes later nearly added to the score when his pass found Magno Cruz on the left side of the box. However, Cruz’s shot went narrowly wide of the left post.

Cruz had another chance in the 31st minute after receiving the ball from Toscano, but his shot went wide of the right past.

The sides went in at the half-time break with Jeju leading 1-0 after an exciting opening 45 minutes.

In the 51st minute, Jeju nearly increased their lead when a Cruz header hit the post following a cross by Kwon.

As the match progressed both sides tested each other's defences with the Reds' Yuki Muto, Zlatan and Ryota Moriwaki always looking dangerous but could not crack the resolute Jeju defence.

The Reds nearly grabbed the equaliser when a corner kick by Yosuke Kashiwagi in the 69th minute found Zlatan in the box but his header went narrowly wide of the right post.

First half goalscorer Toscano had a slight chance to increase the Jeju lead in the 71st minute when a pass from Kwon found him in the box but his shot went high and wide.

Zlatan had another opportunity to score for the Reds in the 85th minute when a cross by Toshiyuki Takagi found him in the box but his header was saved by Kim in goal.

In added on time, Jeju grabbed their second goal when Kwon's pass, after a fast break, reached Jin in the box and he scored with a shot in the bottom left corner to hand his side the 2-0 lead.

In the end, the match ended 2-0 in favour of Jeju with the second leg due to take place on May 31 at Saitama Stadium 2002.