Championship leader Marc Marquez set the pace ahead of title rival Valentino Rossi as the MotoGP weekend got underway at Aragon.
On a sunny but chilly morning in Spain, MotoGP took to the MotorLand Aragon circuit for the start of round 14 of the MotoGP championship.
Championship hopeful Valentino Rossi, who trails Marc Marquez by 43 points in the standings, fired the opening salvo but was soon overhauled by the Honda rider with a 1:49.748.
— MotoGP™ (@MotoGP) September 23, 2016
Marquez upped his pace, hitting a top speed of 331kph on his way to a 1:49.172.
Cal Crutchlow improved to second place but the LCR Honda rider lost it minutes later to Jorge Lorenzo, who was 0.553s short of Marquez's best.
With 15 minutes remaining in the session Marquez lowered the benchmark to a 1:48.830 to pull 0.895s clear of Lorenzo.Po
Pol Espargaro slotted into third ahead of Andrea Iannone and Crutchlow.
Rossi made a late improvement to take second place, 0.186s slower than Marquez, while Maverick Vinales finished third. His time was matched by Andrea Dovizioso with both riders 0.348s off the pace.
Lorenzo was fifth ahead of Iannone, Danilo Petrucci and Pol Esparago. Crutchlow fell to tenth.
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team 1:48.830s
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1:49.016s +0.186s
3. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar 1:49.178s 0.348s
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team 1:49.178s 0.348s
5. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 1:49.573s 0.743s
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team 1:49.601s 0.771s
7. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich 1:49.719s 0.889s
8. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar 1:49.731s 0.901s
9. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:49.738s 0.908s
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda 1:49.756s 0.926s
11. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 1:49.993s 1.163s
12. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich 1:50.113s 1.283s
13. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini 1:50.368s 1.538s
14. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing 1:50.714s 1.884s
15. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 1:50.816s 1.986s
16. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team 1:50.958s 2.128s
17. Alex Lowes GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:51.103s 2.273s
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini 1:51.139s 2.309s
19. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team 1:51.388s 2.558s
20. Nicky Hayden USA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 1:51.873s 3.043s
21. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing 1:52.680s 3.850s