After months of speculation about his future – or lack thereof – Toro Rosso have confirmed that Daniil Kvyat will partner Carlos Sainz in 2017.
Demoted from Red Bull Racing to Toro Rosso after a nightmare Russian GP weekend, Kvyat was a driver under pressure.
Although he scored points in his first race back with the Toro Rosso, the Spanish GP, he has managed just two top-ten results since.
This led to reports that Kvyat’s days could be numbered.
However, instead, Toro Rosso have confirmed him for next season.
— Toro Rosso (@ToroRossoSpy) October 22, 2016
“Great news!” he said.
“I’d like to thank Red Bull, Dr. Marko and all the team for their support and the faith they have shown in me since I returned to the team earlier this year.
“I’m very happy to stay with a team that feels like home to me. I’m really looking forward to continuing the hard work together in 2017 and I’m really aiming high.
“I will always be fully dedicated, giving my 200%, and I will be pushing as hard as I usually do, that’s for sure. I’m delighted!”
The team also officially announced that Sainz would be staying on for a third season.
He said: “Considering how many changes there are in the Formula 1 pipeline for 2017, it’s good to know that Daniil and I will continue to be teammates here in Toro Rosso next year.
“We know each other very well, as we’ve been racing together since 2010, and we work well together. I know that this season isn’t over yet, but I’m already looking forward to next year!”
Enjoy the full experience of the 2016 FIA Formula One season on FOX Sports Play, where you can catch LIVE races from angles unseen before, exclusive interviews, behind the scenes, in-depth analysis and so much more. Don’t miss it!