Jonathan Rea went fastest in the second practice session at Laguna Seca, yet Chaz Davies set the pace on the opening day in California.
A lap of 1m 23.436s at the end of the session saw Kawasaki’s Rea go fastest in the afternoon session, yet on the combined times, he was pipped by Davies’ Ducati by a margin of just 0.0011s.
Eugene Laverty – second quickest in the morning session – had initially set the pace, before a crash from Honda’s Stefan Bradl saw the first of two red flags bring a temporary end to the racing.
COMBINED PRACTICE TIMES:
— WorldSBK (@WorldSBK) July 7, 2017
Championship leader Rea was second quickest behind Rea, before Marco Melandri went clear in top spot with a lap of 1m23.778s.
With just three minutes remaining on the clock, FP2 was halted yet again after WorldSBK debutant Jake Gagne crashed on the same corner as Bradl.
It prompted a mad dash at the end of the session, with Rea going fastest ahead of Melandri and Laverty.
— FOX Sports Asia (@FOXSportsAsia) July 7, 2017
Tom Sykes was fifth fastest after a 1m24.242s in the dying seconds, while Alex Lowes – who was another faller at Turn Three – finished in eighth overall.
Combined fastest times from FP1 and FP2
- Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1m23.425s
- Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing 1m23.436s
- Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing 1m23.778s
- Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia 1m24.098s
- Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing 1m24.242s
- Xavi Fores ESP Barni Racing 1m24.253s
- Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta Reparto Corse 1m24.283s
- Alex Lowes GBR Pata Yamaha 1m24.330s
- Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW Racing 1m24.388s
- Alex De Angelis SMR Pedercini Racing 1m24.626s
- Leandro Mercado ARG IodaRacing 1m24.670s
- Raffaele De Rosa ITA Althea BMW Racing 1m24.713s
- Michael van der Mark NED Pata Yamaha 1m24.755s
- Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda 1m24.928s
- Roman Ramos ESP GoEleven 1m25.279s
- Lorenzo Savadori ITA Milwaukee Aprilia 1m25.421s
- Jake Gagne USA Red Bull Honda World Superbike 1m25.618s
- Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Racing 1m25.835s
- Randy Krummenacher SWI Kawasaki Puccetti Racing 1m26.009s
- Jakub Smrz ITA Guandalini Racing 1m26.448s
- Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Racing 1m26.836s