Villa leave it late against Wycombe

Aung Thu at Muangthong United

Two goals in the final 15 minutes of the match helped Aston Villa to a 2-0 win over Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup third round replay on Tuesday night.

  • Aston Villa 2 Wycombe 0
  • Little to separate the side early on
  • Clack opens scoring
  • Gueye adds late second

Match Summary

At half time, with the score at 0-0, you would’ve been hard pressed explaining to the casual observer which of the two sides was from the Premier League and which was from three division below in League 2.

The relief was clear on the faces of all involved with Aston Villa when Ciaran Clark broke the deadlock in the 75th minute with a neat header.

In truth the Villains controlled the game after that and it was no surprise when Idrissa Gueye added a second in the 90th minute to seal the tie for the Premier League club.

Full Report

It was an unexpectedly back and forth encounter in the first half as Wycombe looked comfortable and were able to match Villa blow for blow early on.

Rudy Gestede went close with his head in the seventh minute after Jack Grealish whipped in a devilish cross from the left flank, but the header flew just over the bar.

Seven minutes later it was the away side’s turn and Michael Harriman went close with a powerful drive from the edge of the Villa box but it, too, went narrowly over.

Scott Sinclair forced a smart save out of the Wanderers goalkeeper late in the first half, but there was nothing to separate the side on the pitch or the scoreboard as they went into the break deadlocked at 0-0.

The second half carried on in the same vein and the home fans began expressing their unhappiness at their side’s inability to pose much of a threat to their League 2 opposition.

However, Clark saved their blushes in the 75th minute as he got on the end of a beautiful Ashley Westwood cross to head Villa into a 1-0 lead.

The Villains began to show the dominance you would have expected from them throughout after the goal and secure their passage into the fourth round in the 90th minute. This time it was Sinclair who provided the cross for Gestede and the striker laid it on for Gueye who smashed the home side into an unassailable 2-0 lead.