Valentino Rossi says he has made peace with the fact that he missed out on the MotoGP title at the final round of last season’s championship.
However, the Italian stood by his comments about the Marc Marquez controversy that surfaced during the latter stages of the 2015 season.
Speaking at the Movistar Yamaha launch on Monday, the only clarification Rossi offered was aimed at fans and pundits who believe he was responsible for his own downfall when he attacked Marquez during the pre-race press conference at Sepang.
“I don’t agree with those who say Marquez acted against me after the press conference at Sepang,” Rossi said.
“He had already decided to do everything possible so that I did not win the title. My statements did not change anything.”
The seven-time Premier Class winner had accused Marquez of aiding Jorge Lorenzo in Australia, before saying that the Spaniard was “angry and thinking like a child” because they had clashed several times earlier.
In Malaysia, Rossi and Marquez were involved in a furious battle for third place, until the Italian appeared to lose his composure and forced Marquez wide. The two made contact and Marquez was forced into the gravel, while Rossi was handed three penalty points.
Since Rossi had already been awarded a penalty point earlier, he was demoted to the last place on the grid for the season finale in Valencia, where he ultimately lost the title to Lorenzo.
Marquez, meanwhile, rubbished the Yamaha driver’s claim, saying that he passed Lorenzo on the final lap to win in Australia and that he simply wanted to break away from Rossi in Malaysia.
“If the target was [to help Lorenzo] I would have stayed ten seconds behind and not taken any risks… When people say you didn’t try to win the race, I feel insulted,” Marquez noted.