Deeney double sinks Palace

Highlights – Abahani Limited Dhaka vs 4.25 SC

Two goals from Watford captain Troy Deeney earned his side a 2-1 win over struggling Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in the Premier League on Saturday.

  • Crystal Palace 1 Watford 2
  • Deeney opens scoring from the spot
  • Adebayor equalises for Palace
  • Deeney steals the points
  • Souare sent off late on

Match Summary

Troy Deeney gave Watford the lead from the spot in the 16th minute after Miles Jedinak was adjudged to have brought down the striker in the box, much to the consternation of Crystal Palace's players and fans.

Emmanuel Adebayor brought the home side level moments before half time with an accurate looping header from a Conner Wickham cross.

Just when it seemed as if the tie was headed for a draw, Deeney was again on hand to finish from close range after a poor defensive header in the box by Scott Dann to hand Watford a 2-1 win.

Full Report

Watford controlled possession in a tentative start to the game by both teams, but the visitors looked the more likely of the sides to make something happen.

Crystal Palace's early struggles were typified by a horrendous long-range shot from Yohan Cabaye in the 13th minute, that flew miles high and wide to the right of goal.

There was a moment of controversy in the 16th minute as Jedinak was penalised for bringing Deeney down in the box after a tussle between the two players at a corner.

Palace couldn't believe referee Robert Madley had given the penalty, while replays showed the defender clearly wrestled Deeney to the ground, but the striker was hardly innocent of any wrong-doing himself.

Deeney dusted himself off and calmly stroked the ball into the back of the net after sending Wayne Hennessey the wrong way to give Watford a 1-0 lead.

The goal spurred the home side into action and not four minutes later Gomes had to be at his acrobatic best to deny a stinging effort from Cabaye.

The French midfielder missed the target with two more chances, while Pape Souare had a shot charged down in the box as the Eagles continued to push for an equaliser.

However, they were lucky not to go two behind as their aggressiveness created space for Watford's attackers and Igahlo hit the post before Hennessey saved a Nordin Amrabat effort in the 36th and 37th minutes respectively.

Palace were not perturbed and found their equaliser on the stroke of half time as new signing Adebayor got on the end of superb cross from Wickham to head his side level at 1-1.

There was significantly less action in the second half as both sides seemed reluctant to risk conceding another goal, but Gomes did have to be at his best to deny a powerful low shot from Adebayor in the 58th minute.

The most significant moment of the match came in the 82nd minute as Palace's defence was unable to clear a Ben Watson cross and the weak header fell to Deeney at the back post and he buried the chance to give his side a 2-1 lead.

Cabaye almost rescued a point for Palace late on, but his shot came back off the upright to sum up the home side's luck on the night.

A moment of madness from Souare four minutes into second half injury time meant the Eagles would finish the match with 10 men as the winger went flying into a challenge, completely unnecessarily in the context of the match, with his studs up and gave the referee no chance but to send him off.