Kane inspires Spurs to victory over Bournemouth

AFC U-23 Championship Qualifiers: Indonesia announce provisional 24-man squad

Tottenham Hotspur kept themselves in the hunt for the Premier League title after recording a comfortable 3-0 victory over Bournemouth at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

  • Tottenham 3 Bournemouth 0
  • Harry Kane bags first-half brace
  • Cherries make two tactical changes at half-time
  • Eriksen notches Spurs’ third on 52 mins

Match summary

The writing was on the wall early as Harry Kane found the back of the net inside the first minute, before adding his second of the game in the 16th minute of play.

Christian Eriksen made sure of the result in the 52nd minute as Spurs threatened to run rampant against a lacklustre Bournemouth outfit.

However, despite creating a hatful of chances in the latter stages of the contest, Spurs failed to add to their tally.

Full report

Spurs came flying out of the starting blocks and made a perfect start as they grabbed the lead inside the first minute. Kyle Walker sent in an inviting cross  from the right flank and Kane was waiting in the danger area to fire into the bottom-left corner.

Having claimed the lead so early in the encounter, Tottenham were never really under threat and went on to double their advantage in the 16th minute as Kane latched onto a through ball from Dele Alli before firing past the onrushing Artur Boruc and into the bottom-right corner.

Kane very nearly grabbed his third when he let fly from range in the 33rd minute, but his speculative effort was saved in the bottom-right corner by Boruc.

Another good chance presented itself in the 42nd minute when Alli wriggled clear of his marker, but the young midfielder’s goal-bound effort was brilliantly kept out by Boruc.

Having seen his side completely overrun in a one-sided first half, Cherries boss Eddie Howe elected to make two changes at the half-time break, with Lewis Grabban and Eunan O’Kane coming on for Benik Afobe and Harry Arter.

Unfortunately, the double change did little to stem the tide as Spurs picked up where they left off in the first half.

The match was effectively over as a contest on 52 minutes as Boruc blocked Kane’s 25-yard stinger and an unmarked Eriksen was in the right place at the right time to fire into an unguarded net from just six yards out.

Bournemouth then had a rare chance to open their account in the 68th minute, but substitute Grabban headed just wide of the left-hand post after rising above his marker to meet Andrew Surman’s inviting cross.

However, it was always Spurs who looked more likely to find the back of the net as Eric Dier and Dele Alli fired wide of the mark, before substitute Ryan Mason forced Boruc into action with a shot from the left-hand side of the box just two minutes after entering the fray.

Kane had one last chance to bag his third of the game in the dying minutes, but fired just inches wide of the left-hand post, before Eriksen blasted over from outside the box in the second minute of injury time.

Fine victory as goals from @harrykane (2) and @chriseriksen8 seal a 3-0 win against Bournemouth! #COYS #THFC

A photo posted by Tottenham Hotspur (@spursofficial) on