Gatlin targets Bolt in Rio 2016

Controversial sprinter Justin Gatlin has confirmed that he will be participating at the 2016 Rio Olympics as he continues to chase 'Sprint King' Usain Bolt.

A favourite for the 100m and 200m events at the IAAF World Championships last month, Gatlin had to settle for second place in both events behind Bolt as the Jamaican continued his dominance in the sprinting world.  

However, the American was unfazed of his shortcomings in Beijing and vowed to come back stronger when the two rivals meet again in Rio.

"It's all about growth and getting better and better," Gatlin told CMC.

"The margin of the race is getting smaller and smaller. I just have to make sure I step my game up. So next year I hope to do even better."

Gatlin, who is set to compete at the Brussels Diamond League Meet on Friday, said that despite being one of the oldest athletes in the sprint game, he still feels that he has plenty more to offer,

"I don't think I’m going to hit a limit, like I'm 34 and I can't learn anything anymore," he explained.

"I think a lot of athletes when they get in their mid and late 30s, they focus more on kids, on family. In the last three years, I just focus on being a better athlete and trying to improve my flaws."

Earlier in the week, Bolt released a statement saying that he will not be competing in anymore events in 2015 as he is solely focusing on the Olympics Games.

Comments