Toffees battle past Barnsley

Cristiano Ronaldo on ‘worst year of my life’ following rape case

Everton were made to work for their money in a cracking 4-3 win over Barnsley after extra time in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.

Everton should have been a goal up, and ended up ruing the missed chance, as early as the eight minute when Adam Davies could only palm Kevin Mirallas' speculative long range effort in the path of Aiden McGeady, but the Irish winger couldn't capitalise.

Barnsley grabbed the lead against the run of play in the 21st minute when Phil Jagielka failed to clear an ordinary ball floated into the Everton box.

The ball dropped kindly for Sam Winnall and the striker spun cleverly and slotted home in the bottom corner.

Things went from bad to worse for Everton in the 23rd minute when Mirallas had a penalty shout turned down and found themselves two down less than four minutes later.

Another tame cross in the Toffees danger area was headed back into the six-yard box and Marley Watkins fairly won the ball from goalkeeper Joel Robles and steered the ball home from close range to give the host a 2-0 advantage.

Everton fought back hard and were rewarded shortly after half-time as the ball dropped for Mirallas in the Barnsley box and the Belgian acrobatically finished in the top corner to make the score 2-1.

The Toffees were back on level terms in the 58th minute as Gerard Deulofeu went on a mazy run down the right flank before chipping a cross in for Romelu Lukaku.

The striker missed the ball, but thankfully Steven Naismith was on hand to head home the equaliser.

Less than a minute later some superb play down the right by Barnsley found Daniel Crowley in the box and the striker, on loan from Arsenal, slid the ball home expertly.

Everton nearly went level in the 61st minute but Reece Wabara was on hand to clear the ball off the line.

The visitors were level in the 77th minute however, as Lukaku found some space in the box and met a Deulofeu cross to turn it into the corner to force the game into extra time.

Smelling blood, Everton went for the jugular, creating chance after chance before finding the decisive break through in the fourth minute of extra time.

Deulofeu, once again, had a hand in the goal as the Spanish winger broke down the right before putting in a good cross for Lukaku and Marc Roberts could only divert the ball into his own net.

The craziness was not over, however, Conor Hourihane was unlucky to hit the crossbar with a fine effort from 30 yards out and he forced a sharp save out of Joel five minutes later.

The Toffees weathered the storm and ended the tie in the 114th minute when Ross Barkley broke up-field and fed the ball to Lukaku, who fired home to make the score 5-3 in an incredible game.