Berto surprised by critism

Former world welterweight champion Andre Berto says he is surprised by all the negative reaction received ahead of his upcoming bout with unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jnr.

The two are scheduled to fight on September 2 in Las Vegas for the WBA , WBC & The Ring Welterweight titles.

The fight officially was confirmed by Mayweather last week when he indicated that it would be his last fight before retiring, but fans and media are feeling let down as they were hoping for a more ‘deserving' opponent. 

Many have been calling for Mayweather to fight the likes of Amir Khan, Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia rather than Berto in his last fight.

If Mayweather wins he will tie heavyweight legend Rocky Marciano's record of 49 undefeated straight fights. 

In a Boxing Scene interview, Berto, admitted that the backlash over the fight had surprised him.

"I was probably a little surprised that (the criticism) came like it came," he said.

"Everybody knows that I always show up, and I always fight my ass off," he told Boxing Scene. "I've given my whole life to this sport, and to these people."

"At the end of the day, yeah, the money is good, but I got into this game as a fan, and wanting to go and perform for the people," he added. 

"Then you have guys like Floyd who come in, and (go) 'I don't care whether it's boring or not, as long as I get my check'."

Berto added that he always puts together exciting performances for the fans unlike Mayweather.

"That's why I'm surprised with a lot of the criticism," he said.

Comments