Jayson Castro made it official.
After hinting of retirement on Wednesday night following the disappointing end to Gilas Pilipinas’ Olympic bid, Castro announced his decision with finality on an emotional post in his Instagram account.
The end of our bid for a spot at the Rio Olympics will also be the end of my stint as a member of Gilas Pilipinas. For the past few years, it has been my honor to represent all of you but now it's time to hand over the responsibility to the younger generation. Maraming salamat sa walang sawang pagsuporta niyo sa Gilas. Hindi ko makakalimutan lahat ng pinagsamahan natin. Ako si Jayson Castro William, taga Guagua, Pampanga, lumaban para sa bayan. #7 #PUSO
This came after Ranide de Ocampo, his teammate at Tropang TNT, also made public his decision to hang up his Gilas jersey on Twitter.
After the loss, Castro told reporters that this might be his last stint with Gilas.
“Siguro, this is my last na,” Castro said.
While many thought it was only borne out of frustration after that emotional exit from the FIBA Olympic Quallifying Tournament, it turned out to be true after all.
Castro was named as Asia’s Best Point Guard twice leading Gilas to silver medal runs in 2013 and 2015 FIBA Asia and the 2014 FIBA World Cup.
He just turned 30 last month, making him only 33 by the time the next FIBA World Cup tips off in China which will be the next focus of the Gilas program.
In what turned out to be his last tournament with Gilas, Castro averaged 13.5 points and 3 assists in a pair of 9-point losses to world #5 France and #21 New Zealand in the Manila FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament. – By Alder Almo
Follow this writer on Twitter: @alderalmo