Everton cruise past Middlesbrough

It was my dad’s dream to see me play for Brescia – new signing Balotelli

Everton are through to the League Cup semi-finals after first-half goals from Gerard Deulofeu and Romelu Lukaku saw them beat Middlesbrough 2-0 at Riverside Stadium on Tuesday.

  • Middlesbrough 0 Everton 2
  • Deulofeu strikes for Everton
  • Lukaku heads in their second

Match Summary

Everton continued their fine scoring form in the first half, starting with Gerard Deulofeu's aggressive run through the midfield and well-placed shot to open the scoring.

The Toffees were two goals to the good soon afterward, with Deulofeu turned provided with a cross in from the right flank which Romelu Lukaku met with a powerful header.

Despite both sides having their opportunities in the second half, it passed without a goal as the Toffees held their lead to go through to the semi-finals.

Full Report

There were few chances of note in the opening stages, with Seamus Coleman caught offside as he latched onto Ross Barkley's through-ball, before Christian Stuani earned a free kick for Boro, and Stewart Downing brought a great save out of Joel Robles with a fine curling effort.

Everton then opened the scoring when Gerard Deulofeu picked up possession near the halfway line and went running forward with intent. He looked to have lost control of the ball for a second, but managed to check back and find space for a shot from the edge of the penalty area, which he tucked into the bottom corner past Boro goalie Tomas.

Deulofeu was then involved in Everton's second when a long diagonal ball picked him out on the right flank. The Spaniard did brilliantly to wiggle his way down the byline into a good crossing position and whip it in towards Romelu Lukaku, who found the net with a trademark header at the near post.

Boro almost had a goal back when Stuani found himself in possession and wasn't quite sure what to do with it, but went running forward when some space opened up for him. His touch was too heavy as he tried to push forward, but got a bit of luck when it popped up for Kike, who attempted to chip the goalkeeper with a cheeky effort that wasn't far wide.

After Everton took that two-goal lead in at half time there wasn't much to speak of in the opening stages of the second half, though Boro did have a few opportunities around the hour mark, such as when Stuani's run infield from the right flank produced a shooting opportunity for Downing, but the hosts never truly troubled the Toffees.

Stuani came close to pulling one back for Boro in the 70th minute after Emilio Nsue crossed it in from the right, but his header was just over the crossbar, finding only the top netting.

The game continued to produce end-to-end action and some half chances for both sides, but there were no goals in the second half as Everton cruised through to the semi-finals.