Bisping: I will never fight Romero

Colin Cowherd knows exactly how No. 3 Notre Dame and No. 12 Syracuse will end on Saturday

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has insisted that he won’t ever fight Yoel Romero since he tested positive for a banned substance. 

Romero was banned for six months in April after testing positive for ibutamoren, a growth hormone release stimulator, back in December. He was only suspended for a short period of time as the supplement he took was tainted. Furthermore, the banned substance was not listed on the product’s label and as a result, Romero was not held accountable.

With his suspension concluded, the 39-year-old will return to the Octagon at UFC 205 on November 12, where he will face former middleweight champion Chris Weidman.

The Cuba native is on a seven-fight winning streak, but even if he defeats Weidman in New York, Bisping has made it clear that he will not give him a title shot.

“If Yoel beats Chris, I honestly don’t think I’ll fight Yoel, because he tested positive for steroids,” Bisping told SuriusXM Rush. “I read an article recently that said that it takes years for the advantages of taking steroids to get out of your system. Just because you don’t test positive anymore doesn’t mean you’ll lose all the extra muscle and things like that that you were able to achieve.

“So I think he needs longer, I really do. I don’t see why he should be rewarded. If Weidman wins, that’s the fight I want. Me and Weidman, for a little while now, I’d say probably the last year, have gone back and forth, back and forth, talking sh*t, and yeah, it’s a fight that interests me, 100 percent.”

Bisping won’t be returning to the Octagon any time soon as he is still medically suspended following his gruelling unanimous decision win over Dan Henderson at UFC 204 last month.

Comments