TNT moved within a win away from advancing to the 2017 Philippine Cup Finals after scoring a monumental 101-94 win over two-time defending champion San Miguel on Thursday to take a 3-2 semifinal series lead at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
- The “Blur” takes over: Cat-quick guard Jayson Castro poured 11 of his 18 points in the final canto to tow Katropa to a 3-2 lead in their semifinals series.
- Lucky number 18: Aside from Castro, veteran big men Ranidel de Ocampo and Kelly Williams chipped in 18 each to push the Beermen within the brink of elimination.
- End of SMB reign?: TNT’s win puts more pressure now on San Miguel, which is seeking to bring home the perpetual trophy this conference. Should the Katropa succeed, they look to book a return ticket to the Last Dance since their conquest of 2015 Commissioner’s Cup.
- Rotation problems: Despite getting a double-digit production from all the starters, with Arwind Santos pacing the team with 18, San Miguel succumbed to another close defeat after collecting just 15 from the bench.
- Quote of the match: “Less talk is better.” – TNT head coach Nash Racela
Game 6 is set on Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena