Leicestershire lose again in CCD2

F1 British Grand Prix – Valtteri Bottas pole position lap

Set 323 for victory on the final day, Leicestershire collapsed to 78 all out in their second innings to lose by 244 runs and extend their unwanted winless streak, which stretches back to September 2012.

Lancashire made good progress in the morning session as they looked to declare early, with Ashwell Prince scoring 76 and Alex Davies 54 at just under a run a ball.

They eventually declared on 203-5 and Leicestershire’s fragility soon began to show after Lewis Hill and Angus Robson put on 20 for the first wicket.

By the time they reached 29, seven wickets had fallen, with Tom Bailey their chief destroyer, claiming 5-12 as he and Kyle Jarvis tore through the Leicestershire order.

Clint McKay provided a little resistance, top scoring with 24, and Rob Taylor hung around for 17 to stave off defeat by a few more overs during the final session.

But when former Leicestershire seamer Nathan Buck claimed his second wicket to dismiss Charlie Shreck for a duck, the home side’s innings came to a sorry end.

A draw looks almost assured in Northampton, where at least a full day’s play was possible on day three of the clash between Northants and Surrey.

Tom Curran took four wickets for Surrey as Northants were dismissed for 309, finally ending the first innings of the match midway through day three.

Curran finished with figures of 4-89 and there were also three wickets for Zafar Ansari, who was on a hat-trick after dismissing Josh Cobb (18) and David Willey (0) in successive balls.

Rob Newton made 95 for Northants before becoming one of Curran’s victims, while opener Stephen Peters scored 82 and Adam Rossington passed 1,000 career runs in his innings of 58.

Surrey reached 155-3 by the close, Ansari making 39 with Kumar Sangakkara (28no) and Steven Davies (30no) adding an unbeaten 47.

Gloucestershire built a lead of 240 with one second innings wicket remaining on a tough day for batting against Kent in Bristol.

They were thankful to Hamish Marshall, who top scored with 83 and captain Geraint Jones, who scored 55 as the home side moved on to 282-9.

Liam Norwell claimed his fourth wicket of Kent’s second innings to dismiss the visitors for 235, and all looked good for Gloucestershire when Chris Dent and Gareth Roderick made it to 59 in their opening partnership.

But Dent’s departure for 22 sparked something of a collapse, with four wickets falling for only 22 runs as Darren Stevens and Ivan Thomas claimed two apiece.

However, Marshall and Jones came together when Roderick was dismissed for 47, and they put on 134 before Kent struck again when Marshall’s innings was ended by Matt Coles.

Three wickets fell in quick succession but tailenders Craig Miles (22), David Payne (15) and Norwell (14) all made valuable contributions to at least ensure Kent would be set a target of over 200 on Thursday.

Essex made a poor start to their run chase at the Swalec Stadium, where two key wickets before the close improved Glamorgan’s hopes of victory.

Boosted by plenty of late-order runs, Glamorgan set their visitors 364 runs for victory, and Essex lost openers Nick Browne and Jaik Mickleburgh before the close on a day when a total of 18 wickets fell.

Essex started the day on 183-4 and made it to 201 before a collapse saw them lose six wickets for 20 runs, Graham Wagg taking 4-7 in a fiery spell of left-arm bowling.

Glamorgan were struggling on 38-4 in their second knock, but a series of contributions in their middle and lower order ensured a decent target, wicket-keeper Mark Wallace top-scoring on 79, while Wagg added 43 and Craig Meschede 31.

Wagg was at it again with the ball when Essex went back into bat, trapping Browne in front for 13 before Mickleburgh fell for the same score, stumped by Wallace off the bowling of Andrew Salter who bowled four late overs without conceding a run.

Essex finished the day on 51-2, needing another 313 runs on the final day to secure victory.