Mayweather vs McGregor will happen, says UFC president White

UFC president Dana White admits there is too much money at stake for a fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor not to happen.

Mayweather, who is arguably the greatest boxer of his generation, wants to unretire to take on McGregor, who is the first man in history to hold two UFC titles simultaneously.

Speculation regarding the potential superfight has been building steam for months but the situation is complicated by McGregor’s contract with the UFC, who would have to sign off on any deal.

As recently as last month, White expressed doubt the fight would ever happen and stated he expected McGregor’s next fight to be a defence of his UFC lightweight title.

But during an appearance on US talk show Conon on Wednesday, White changed his tune.

“I do think it’s going to happen,” White said. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal, because, obviously, there are a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always make it tougher.

“[But] on the flip side, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

If the fight does go ahead the undefeated Mayweather (49-0-26KO) would enter as a prohibitive favourite but White rejects the idea it would be a complete mismatch.

“A lot of things make this fight intriguing,” White said. “Conor McGregor is huge. He is 27 years old. He’s in the prime of his career. Floyd is 40.

“Floyd has always had problems with southpaws; Conor is a southpaw, and Conor hits hard. When he hits people, they go. Floyd is definitely not knocking him out. That’s for sure.

“I’m not saying Conor would win this boxing match, but it sure makes it interesting.”

Comments