Federer says break is vital

World No 2 Federer lost??6-3 6-7 6-2 to top seed Djokovic, who retained his title to claim his fourth at the California venue.

Federer had already announced he will miss the Miami Masters, starting on Wednesday 25 March live on Sky Sports, so the Swiss player’s next tournament on the ATP Tour will be the Monte Carlo Masters from April 11 as he prepares himself for the clay court season.

“I am looking forward to training very hard now in the next three weeks,” said two-time Miami Masters champion Federer.

“It is the key for me to get really in great shape for the clay court season and for the grass court season.”

It will be the second time in three years that Federer, who also plans to spend some time with his family at home in Switzerland, will miss the Miami Masters.??He reached the quarter-finals last year.

Federer was philosophical after the defeat to Djokovic in??two hours and 17 minutes.

“I have beat him the last couple times,” he said. “It is not like I lost 10 in a row. A lot depends on how well he serves and returns. We usually play in finals so we are both peaking at the same time.

“Novak did well to sustain the lead for most of the match. I think he found an extra gear in the end. Controlled aggression was the key out there.”

Comments