Kyrgios: No plans for full-time coach in 2018

Nick Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios said he is perfectly happy carrying on the way he has been and has no plans to acquire a full-time coach for the new season.

The Australian had a disappointing season when stacked up against his potential, failing to progress past the second round at all four Grand Slams.

Injury certainly played a part in his results too, and his season ended prematurely due to a long-standing hip complaint.

Former world No 4 Sebastien Grosjean worked with Kyrgios on a part-time basis in 2017, but Kyrgios told reporters on Wednesday that he plans to go it alone next year, having failed to find a coach who has his “best interests” at heart.

“I haven’t got a coach and I think I’m just going to go about my thing the same way that I did this year,” he said.

“I’ve pretty much done it all alone the last three years to get to a career high of 13.

“To bring someone on, it’s tough to know whether they’re just doing it for the sake of getting a bit of cash or rather have best interests at heart.

“I’m not looking for someone who has a big name or anything, it’s more trying to find someone who has my best interests and I can confide in.

“So far I haven’t really met anyone that meets those requirements. I don’t think I’m ready for a full-time coach just yet either.”

Kyrgios will join the returning Novak Djokovic in an eight-man field for the Tie Break Tens exhibition event in Melbourne on January 10.

The event features in innovative format which sees each match last for one tiebreak, with the first player to 10 points winning.

“Tie Break Tens is a great format and really suits my game style,” said Kyrgios.

“I am looking forward to having some fun with it and I reckon the crowds will really get into it. It will be the perfect chance for fans to see some high-quality tennis before the Australian Open starts.”

Comments