Marc Marquez denied Valentino Rossi top spot on the time sheets during the first day of 2015 MotoGP pre-season testing in Malaysia on Wednesday in his final run of the day.
Rossi on a Yamaha led proceedings for the majority of the day with a time of 2.00.380, before Marquez put his Honda in first place with a time 0.118s clear.
Rossi's teammate Jorge Lorenzo was in third place, 0.259s behind Marquez, while Andrea Dovizioso was 0.237s off Rossi's best pace having improved drastically in the final hour as track temperatures cooled off.
Dani Pedrosa set the pace during the morning session but could only finish in fifth place overall, having narrowly escaped a front-end crash at Turn 9 towards the end of the final session of the day.
The 2013 Moto2 world champion Pol Espargaro became the first crash victim of the season when he ran off at Turn 11 on his first timed lap of the session, but bounce back to post the sixth fastest time of the day on his Yamaha Tech 3.
Britain's Bradley Smith was the ninth fastest on the day despite injuring his ankle during a MotoX training accident, and finished just ahead of his compatriot Cal Crutchlow.
Former Moto2 world championship runner-up Scott Redding improved from 18th to 11th late on a day in which the factory-backed Honda RC213V completed 63 laps, with a time of 2.01.917.
Aprilia's new premier class project started disappointingly, as Alvaro Bautista and Marco Melandri both abandoned laps due to mechanical issues.
Bautista was eventually able to post a competitive time – 2.02.285 to finish in 15th, but Melandri's best time was more than 4.2 seconds slower than that of Marquez and was only good enough for 26th.
Of the four Open class Honda RC213V-RS, Nicky Haiden was the quickest, with the former World Champion finishing in 17th place, 2.437s behind Marquez.
The new Suzuki GSX-RR struggled on its first day of testing, with Aleix Espargaro finishing in 14th spot, while debutant Maverick Vinales ended in 21st, 0.7s behind his teammate's time of 2.02.225.
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 0.262s [Lap 62/63]
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 0.380s 0.118s[27/57]
3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 0.521s 0.259s[30/55]
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP14.3) 2m 0.617s 0.355s [36/41]
5. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 0.745s 0.483s [25/45]
6. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 0.930s 0.668s [29/55]
7. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP14.3) 2m 1.424s 1.162s [58/59]
8. Stefan Bradl GER Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha) 2m 1.556s 1.294s [50/58]
9. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 1.707s 1.445s [27/52]
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR CWM LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 1.713s 1.451s [34/61]
11. Scott Redding GBR Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 2m 1.917s 1.655s [59/63]
12. Michele Pirro ITA Pramac Racing (Desmosedici) 2m 1.951s 1.689s [51/54]
13. Danilo Petrucci ITA Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.1) 2m 2.136s 1.874s [50/50]
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki MotoGP (GSX-RR) 2m 2.225s 1.963s [42/46]
15. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (Aprilia) 2m 2.285s 2.023s [27/50]
16. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Honda Test Rider (RC213V/RC213V-RS) 2m 2.560s 2.298s [45/69]
17. Nicky Hayden USA Drive M7 Aspar (RC213V-RS) 2m 2.699s 2.437s [22/46]
18. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici) 2m 2.700s 2.438s [28/55]
19. Jack Miller AUS CWM LCR Honda (RC213V-RS) 2m 2.807s 2.545s [53/59]
20. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) 2m 3.092s 2.830s [38/47]
21. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki MotoGP (GSX-RR) 2m 3.164s 2.902s [58/69]
22. Eugene Laverty IRL Drive M7 Aspar Honda (RC213V-RS) 2m 3.295s 3.033s [41/47]
23. Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici) 2m 3.878s 3.616s [34/58]
24. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing (RC213V-RS)2m 3.879s 3.617s [38/46]
25. Loris Baz FRA Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha) 2m 4.163s 3.901s [57/66]
26. Marco Melandri ITA Factory Aprilia Gresini (Aprilia) 2m 4.502s 4.240s [41/42]
27. Alex De Angelis RSM Octo IodaRacing (ART) 2m 4.673s 4.411s [40/46]
28. Takumi Takahashi JPN Honda Test Rider (RC213V/RC213V-RS) 2m 4.719s 4.457s [77/77]
29. Takuya Tsuda JPN Suzuki Test Rider (GSX-RR)2m 5.478s 5.216s [13/18]
30. Michael Laverty GBR Aprilia Test Rider (Aprilia) 2m 6.190s 5.928s [23/28]