Sheffield’s IBF champion will be back at his home city’s Motorpoint Arena for his first fight since taking Shawn Porter’s belt on points in California in August.
Brook and promoter Eddie Hearn will hold a press conference on January 19 to announce the challenger and a date for the contest.
The 28-year-old had been pencilled in for a December defence, but a knife attack in Tenerife in September left him hospitalised with serious injuries which have now healed.
Hearn said:?????I can???t wait to finally see Kell make that walk at the Motorpoint Arena as world champion.
“Last year was a year of incredible highs and lows and the bravery he has shown to come back from that life-threatening injury has been quite remarkable.
“People doubted Kell before he ripped the world title from Porter in America. The fact is that Kell is a special fighter and I believe he will go on to unify the 147lbs division, it will be an emotional night for Kell and another big statement will be made.”
Brook said last month his longer-term aim is a huge summer fight with Amir Khan, but his fellow Briton is targeting Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao.