The BaliPure Water Defenders overpowered the University of the Philippines, 25-23, 25-21, 25-23 to notch their second win in the Premier Volleyball League Open Conference on Saturday at the Filoil Flying V Centre.
- Poise under pressure: Winless after two games, the Water Defenders made sure they get the W this time around by averting a possible UP comeback late in the third set.
- Fight back: The Lady Maroons took a 23-22 lead in the third set via a 4-0 run but last conference’s Finalists fought back with their own 3-0 game-winning run. Jerrili Malabanan tied the game at 23, then Risa Sato followed with a quicker before a rejection on UP’s Isa Molde ended the match.
- Balanced scoring: Grethcel Soltones scored 18 for BaliPure, Aiko Urdas and Sato had 13 apiece while Malabanan scored 10 points for BaliPure.
- UP gunners: Molde had a game-high 22 points while Tots Carlos chipped in 18 points but no other Lady Maroons scored more than three points.
- Quote of the match: “Yung nakaraan ok lang sa akin kasi sobang dikit ng laro. Parang nawawala yung aggressiveness nung mga bata. Kung ano yung lalaruin ng kalaban ayun yung lalaruin nila, di katulad yung karaang conference,” said BaliPure head coach Roger Gorayeb.
Follow this writer on Twitter: @Chester_Fajardo